Around this time every year, local media outlets announce their “Best of…” lists. Some folks question their selection processes—like say … ballot box stuffing or “suggestive” advertising.
I, on the other hand, am not beholden to anyone for anything (well, other than Uncle Sam and MasterCard). Granted, I did solicit bribes on Twitter, but I was just kidding (which I assume SPAR was too with their offer of $1 million).
That said, I have instituted the Speckie Awards. The Speckies, as they’re affectionately known, recognize my 50 favorite people, places and things in Jacksonville. And with that, I present to you The Speckies: Part One (in no particular order).
- Blue Bamboo: Two words: Dragon whiskers. Three more words: Chef Dennis Chan.
- Peterbrooke’s chocolate-covered popcorn: Drooled on my keyboard at the mere thought of it.
- Lew Turner of First Coast News: The most charming man on color TV.
- Sun-Ray Cinema: Quirky flicks, delicious pizza, comfy seats, cold beer, genius owners.
- 927 Events: Coolest event space in town. Did I mention pork sliders?
- On the Fly Food Truck: Such deliciousness from a truck. Best grilled cheese I ever had.
- Michael Walker of Cross Training San Marco: Personal trainer to the stars—and me (not lately, obviously).
- Sweet! by Good Golly Miss Holly: Kryptonite is to Superman as these cupcakes are to me.
- Dos Gatos: Birthplace of Red Dawn and SABUS. Don’t ask. Seriously. Don’t.
- Designed Alliance | A Coaching Partnership: How do you think I won Dancing With the Stars?
- Taste of Thai: Hated Thai food … until I tried Aurathai Sellas’.
- Bold City Brewery: Killer Whale Cream Ale. And drunk Jenga.